This vegan udon noodle soup is spicy and richly flavoured and perfectly paired with plant-based meatballs. We used the Birds Eye ones that are made of pea protein but any would do. Alternatively pan fried tofu pieces work well.
Vegan Udon Noodle Soup Ingredients
- three small packs of thick udon noodles, or one per person, straight to wok or dried
- a tablespoon of vegetable oil
- an onion, chopped into thin strips
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, prepared likewise
- a thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced or finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 courgette, cut into small strips
- a bunch of fresh parsley, minced
- a head of broccoli, broken into florets
- water as needed
- soy sauce to taste
- salt if needed
- vegan meatballs, prepared according to pack instructions (fry or bake)
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion, chillis, ginger and garlic in the oil for a few minutes
- add the courgette and udon noodles and fry for a few more minutes
- add the broccoli and parsley, stirring to coat in the oil
- cover well with water and bring to the boil
- once the broccoli and noodles are tender, add the soy sauce.
- add salt if needed
- plate up and top with the meatballs
‘Vegetarian Christmas’ by Rose Elliot. This title is not exclusively vegan but there is a plethora of vegan delights included and most of the lacto-ovo recipes are easily ‘veganisable’. Our favourite Christmas dinner of Chestnut and Red wine pate en croute is in here along with lots of advice on taking the work out of Christmas catering. This book is full of ideas for lots of special touches which can be prepared early and frozen. Now out of print but the hardcover is available cheaply from Amazon and has lots of lovely photos throughout 🙂 We love this book so much we even wrote a blog post on it!