This roasted beetroot cream sauce is earthy and easy, and so delicious and vibrant in colour.
We roasted a bunch of beets the night before when the oven was on for another meal, and then popped them in the fridge until needed. We used beautiful stripey Chioggia beetroot from the garden but any beets will do.
Beetroot Cream Sauce
- Pour the beets and roasting oil into a saucepan.
- Add: 1 chopped onion, a few cloves of garlic, a small bunch of parsley and a little chopped celery.
- Fry up for a few minutes until the veg is softened.
- Pop into a blender with a small box of vegan cream and a little salt. We used Oatly.
- Stir into pasta of your choice. It worked very well with spaghetti, coating a 500g packet perfectly.
If you liked this beetroot cream sauce, check out our other main dishes here.
Book of the Moment
Creating a Forest Garden: Forest gardening is a novel way of growing edible crops – with nature doing most of the work for you. A forest garden is modelled on young natural woodland, with a wide range of crops growing in different vertical layers. Unlike in a conventional garden, there is little need for digging, weeding or pest control. Buy UK
Active in many countries across the world, Olio is an app that you can download to your phone to share food in your local area. It does have a desktop version too. People share things that they can’t use up in time from their fridge, or cupboard items that they no longer want. Food Waste Heroes (which you can volunteer to be) collect yellow stickered or surplus food from businesses and then share it for free on the app.