This carrot and turmeric soup is rich and nutritious and golden, perfect for the start of Autumn! Turmeric is rich in iron and also anti-inflammatory. The olive oil and black pepper in the recipe are there to make the most of these properties.
Carrot Turmeric Soup Ingredients
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled
- 4 or 5 small new potatoes, skins on, chopped small
- 5 large carrots or equivalent, scraped and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- a handful of cashew nuts
- 1 to 2 heaped teaspoons of turmeric (we used this one)
- about 1 teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground if possible
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- water to cover ingredients well
- seasalt to taste
Place the ginger, potatoes, carrots and onion in a large pan and cover well with boiling water. Bring back to boil and add the cashew nuts and garlic. While the vegetables are cooking mix the turmeric in the olive oil with the black pepper and leave to stand.
Once the vegetables are tender, add salt to taste and place everything – veg, liquid, nuts, turmeric/oil mix – into a blender and blitz until smooth.
Pour into bowls and squeeze some lime juice over the top. Yum!
See all our vegan recipes here
Montbretia by the pond: