Large Chocolate Yule Log Cake
Chocolate Yule log cakes for people who can’t do swiss roll.
- 1 chocolate cake baked in a loaf tin – basic chocolate cake recipe here or gluten free one here. Or 1 chocolate swiss roll if you can do it!!
- 1 batch of vegan chocolate ‘butter’ icing: Beat together half a cup/130g/4oz vegan margarine with 1 and a third cups/210g/7 oz sifted icing sugar and one tablespoon of cocoa (also sifted to avoid lumps). Beat in a few drops of natural vanilla extract.
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar for dusting
- 1 festive cake board or large plate and decorations of your choice (fake flowers or berries, holly leaves, small baubles etc.)
Cut the corner off one end of the cake and turn it round to look like a branch (excuse rough drawing!) – arrange on the cake board or plate.
Secure the branch with some of the icing.
With a knife smooth off the corners of the log to make it rounded.
Cover the entire cake with the rest of the icing, then use a fork to make lines and knots like a log 🙂
Dust with icing sugar.
Decorate to your hearts content.
Little Chocolate logs
- 1 chocolate cake prepared in a large square tin so it will not be too deep ( visit the chocolate page if you need a recipe for this)
- vegan marzipan
- A bar of dark vegan chocolate
- icing sugar for dusting
- glace cherries and crystallised angelica for decoration or children might prefer D&D chocolate beans or other sweets – in the picture weve used pecan nuts
Cut the cake into small rectangles ( 10 cm. X 4 cm. and 2 or 3 cm. deep). Cut thin pieces of marzipan and place on top of the cakes. Pour melted chocolate over the top of each log, decorate to your hearts content and then dust with the icing sugar (snow!).
Also see a gluten free and ‘fudgey’ version of this recipe here