Vegan Mushroom Parcel Recipe by Catriona
There are a few steps to this but most can be made a day ahead… in fact I normally assemble it all the evening before and then it is ready to go…
Vegan Mushroom Parcel Ingredients
- 300mls/just over 1 cup rice
- approx. 600mls/2 and a quarter cups hot stock ( I use Kallo Mushroom Stock Cubes)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- couple of cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Jar of antipasto mushrooms, minus a tbsp mushrooms (make sure they are vegan), drain and reserve the oil.
- big handful of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- a few dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water and then finely chopped
- tsp dried oregano ( or fresh if you can)
- fresh basil, sliced
- 1 cup defrosted vegemince or 1 cup rehydrated soya mince
- remaining tbsp of mushrooms
- enough sundried tomato puree to bind it together and some fresh basil
- 1 onion finely chopped,
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup suet,
- 1 tsp mixed herbs and some salt and pepper.
- Aprox. 500g./18oz of frozen, vegan puff pastry
Put some of the reserved mushroom oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic until soft, add the rice and mix it all together. Add all the different mushrooms and the oregano if dried. Mix again and then gradually add the stock stirring constantly for that creamy risotto texture. More or less liquid may be needed. Add fresh herbs , mix and set aside.
Soya mince filling
In a blender mix together approx. 1 cup defrosted vegemince or 1 cup rehydrated soya mince, remaining tbsp of mushrooms, enough sundried tomato puree to bind it together and some fresh basil
Chop an onion finely and mix it with 1 cup oats to 1/2 cup suet,1 tsp mixed herbs and some salt and pepper. bind with a little water to form a sausage…be careful not to add too much water.
Have ready some defrosted vegan puff pastry rolled out into a rectangle.
Get the puff pastry and spread it lightly with sundried tomato paste and stick basil leaves on to this. Get the cooled mushroom risotto and spread it onto the pastry leaving room at all ends… you wont need all the risotto. On top of this place the soya mince filling and then place the stuffing sausage along the centre. Fold up the sides until they meet in the middle…hopefully!! If they are reluctant to stick down then brush with a little soya milk. Put on a baking tray. It is advisable, if possible, to raise the vegan mushroom parcel off the tray using a rack as I have found the bottom has a tendency to burn. You can now leave it until Christmas Day! To cook follow the temperature guide on the packet of puff pastry. Easy!
Also check out Cat’s Vegan Christmas Garlic-Lemon Seitan Roast with stuffing over on the Modern Housewife blog and see all our Vegan Christmas recipes here