This vegan macaroni cheese recipe uses sweet white miso paste for some of its cheesiness! If you want to make it more yellow you can add turmeric to it, but we quite like it in this paler form.
Vegan Macaroni Cheese Ingredients
- 1 bag (500g) macaroni – we favour the Scottish brand of Marshalls, it has a nice curl to it and good texture for this recipe.
- a tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 onion or leek, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of plain white flour
- 1 litre of unsweetened soya milk
- a stock cube (we used Kallo organic)
- 1 teaspoon of smooth yellow mustard
- 2 heaped tablespoons of sweet white miso
- seasalt to taste
- 2 or 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Grated vegan cheese (in the UK GreenBay have a huge range of cheeses, including many artisan small batch varieties.)
Cook the macaroni as per packet instructions. While the water is coming to the boil/pasta cooking, prepare the sauce. Melt the marg and cook the onion in it for a few minutes. Add the flour and stir thoroughly. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time to avoid lumps (but don’t worry too much, they seem to be un-noticed in the final mix anyway). Add in the stock, mustard and salt, still stirring away. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the miso.
Put your grill on to heat on high. Drain your pasta (once cooked) and mix in the sauce. Place in a large oven proof dish and top with the tomatoes and then cheese on top. Place under the grill for a few minutes until it goes a little squidgy (a very specific and precise term)… yum.
Catkins by the loch: